The Salomo-Birnbaum-Society, or Salomo Birnbaum Gesellschaft für Jiddisch in Hamburg, was founded in 1995:
"It is our goal to promote the active participation in Yiddish language and culture, and to help keep the treasures of Yiddish culture from sinking into oblivion.
Our activities include:
- Workshops, in which Yiddish texts are introduced and discussed
- Yiddish discussion groups, dedicated to putting Yiddish into practice
- Colloquia, lectures and readings, concerts, theater guest performances, movie screenings and exhibitions
- Support of Yiddish publications and translations from Yiddish
- Promotion of scientific projects in the field of Yiddish, e.g. through financial and professional support of a Yiddish library being set up in Hamburg: the Salomo-Birnbaum-Library"